In education for more then 40 years as Consultant, Speaker, Trainer/ coach, Language teacher, Teacher trainer, Researcher and Project manager. For the last decade I focus on Digital Literacy. In 2017 I was chosen as a Pioneer Digital Literacy in the Manual Digital Literacy/ Handboek Digitale geletterdheid., published by Kennisnet, the the public organisation for Education & ICT.
I work with Teachers, Schools, Teacher training institutes, Universities and Educational Institutes to innovate education. My main focus is Digital Literacy, in close relationship with Language teaching, but also cross curriculum. I like to work with Teacher Development Teams. I have worked in the Netherlands and abroad. See here more details of my professional activities (partly in Dutch). I also do research on Digital Literacy, independently and in a research group of Windesheim, University of Applied Sciences, Onderwijsinnovatie en ICT.
Five years ago I have developed a cross curriculum project Hidden Ancestors, in which students research the ancestors. This project tries to put digital literacy in a meaningful context, but also relates to cross curriculum learning goals, like writing, using online resources, motivation and philosophy. The project has gotten much attention in the press and even on television. We have coached several schools to work with project. Students are very motivated to work this way. There is e project website (in Duch).
I’m very active in several European Associations, as Elinet, European Literacy Policy Network, were I am the (co)chair of the Thematic Working Group Digital Literacy and FELA (Federation of European Literacy Associations) as member and representative of The Netherlands.
- 2016-.. Member Research group Innovation in Education, related to ICT group of Windesheim, University of Applied Sciences
- 2008-.. Independent researcher Digital Literacy. Speaker at national and International Conferences. Consultant. trainer/ Coach.
- 2003-2018 Language Teacher at Secondary school, Helen Parkhurst
- 1993-2003 Institute for Innovation of Education, as National Coordinator Language Teaching (Mother Tongue0, Founder/ Team leader Language group and also working in the team ICT and learning. Her I was also Trainer/ consultant and Developer. E.g. early in the 90s of the 20th century I developed an online learning environment.
- 1990-1993 Founder and Coördinator Post Graduate program Remedial Teaching in Secondary schools. VO.
- 1981-1993 Teacher trainer at the University of Applied Sciences, Utrecht
- 1978-1981 Language teacher in Secondary and Higher Education
- 1972-1976 Teaching Assistant at the Groningen University.
Professionele netwerken en functies
- 2017-.. Elinet, European Literacy Policy Network. Member Executive Committee & Co-chair Working group Digital Literacy
- 2010-.. Expert Digital Literacy. in the Commissie Mediawijsheid (Commission Media Education) of the Raad voor Cultuur from the National government
- 2010-.. Federation of European Literacy Associations (FELA)
- 1975-.. Association for Language Teachers
- 1991-2010 International Development in Europe Committee (IDEC), related to the International Literacy Association
- 1990-.. Member International Literacy Association (ILA)
- 1981 Graduated Dutch Language and Literature University Groningen Groningen. Minors: Educational Sciences and Socio- Pragmalinguistics.
- 1981 Teaching qualification
- 1972 Gymnasium Alpha